Organization: Village Hopecore International
Location: Chogoria, Kenya (Outside US)
Position Title: Global Micro-Enterprise Fellow
Job Type: Fellowship (fulltime)
The primary role of the global Micro-Enterprise Fellow is to provide technical expertise and input, as a member of the microenterprise department. The fellow plays a supporting role, in that (s) he should not be fulfilling duties that Kenyan staff members are capable of completing. The primary objective of the micro-enterprise fellow is to build capacity of the Microenterprise Department.
The fellow takes part in a wide variety of activities in and out of the field. He or she will spend approximately 75% of their time in the office and 25% fieldwork.
Other roles of the fellow include completing tasks assigned by the Board of Directors; grant seeking and writing, problem solving and community relations.
- Offer consultation and expertise to the Micro-Enterprise Department Coordinator.
- Supervise loan client characteristics database.
- Oversee and manage greenhouse loan program.
- Write group profiles and performance reports for donors.
- Seek and write grants to find financial support for the program.
- Update blog and Facebook page weekly.
- Other specifically assigned tasks in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Supervisor: President/CEO, Managing Director and HopeCore Board of Directors
- A Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree plus three years of experience relevant to the duties of the position. The degree should be in one of these fields: economics, business, international affairs/relations, development or a related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be culturally sensitive and adaptable.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently.
- Experience with grant writing.
- Experience with donor relation management.
- Previous experience working in a developing country.
Terms of appointment: The fellow agrees to a one-year term in Chogoria, working with Village Hopecore. The Fellow is required to obtain a work permit/visa from the Kenyan immigration office. The work permit can be obtained after entry into Kenya. Village Hopecore International will assist in the process of obtaining a work visa.
Compensation: A monthly stipend is intended to cover living and travel expenses will be provided. The stipend can be directly deposited into either a local bank account or a U.S. bank account. The fellow will receive four paid weeks of vacation during the fellowship.
Lodging and Expenses: The stipend is designed to cover all lodging and living expenses in Chogoria as well as travel expenses. Hopecore will arrange for a safe and secure apartment for the fellow in our local hospital’s compound. The two-bedroom apartment has cooking facilities, refrigerator and complete bathroom facilities. The Micro Enterprise Fellow will share the apartment with the Public Health Fellow. Rent for the apartment is approximately $60 per month and is the responsibility of the fellow. Food expenses in Chogoria are approximately $50 per month.
It is required that each fellow has health insurance. The fellow will be responsible for transportation costs to and from Kenya. The monthly stipend should cover all of the fellow’s transportation expenses getting to Kenya, all of the living expenses while in Chogoria and most if not all the cost of health insurance while in Kenya. The stipend is designed to allow the fellow to spend a year in Kenya without having to incur additional loans.
Applying: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter of interest, their resume, and contact information for three references (at least one personal and one professional reference is required) to Kabi Muhu at email@example.com
Selection Process: Well-qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a two-step interview process. The interviews will assess the candidate’s experience level, personal integrity, communication skill and ability to succeed while living and working abroad.
Contact: Please direct inquiries to Kabi Muhu at the aforementioned email addresses.